Kynance Cove The Lizard by Thomas Hart FSA
Watercolour on Paper
New Frame and Mount Ready to Hang
Overall Frame Size
Born 1830 Crowan Cornwall, Died 1916 The Lizard, Cornwall
Moved to Falmouth in the 1840’s
He was a prolific painter in watercolours and oil. He lived up to 1862 in Falmouth, Cornwall, the home of several known artists.
Married Louisa Hallamore in 1862 in Falmouth, Cornwall. Initially they set up home in Plymouth
Thomas had one of the very first photographic studios at 10 Flora Place, Union Road, Plymouth.
Louisa travelled to Falmouth for the births of Herbert and Horace (artists)
1865 the family moved to the Lizard Point in Cornwall,
Painted a large volume of work including this watercolour Kynance Cove The Lizard by Thomas Hart FSA
Exhibited at the Royal academy, Grosvenor Gallery and at numerous venues in the UK.
His work sold from the 1850’s. Thomas travelled widely in the UK and Europe gathering ideas and working “Plein Air”.
From 1880 to the early 1900’s Thomas spent 2 months in Odda Norway where he set up a studio.
They had 11 children, 6 of them became professional Painters. In the late 1800’s numerous Titled people in the UK and throughout Europe purchased his paintings
Kynance Cove (Cornish: Porth Keynans, meaning ravine cove) is a cove on the eastern side of Mount’s Bay, Cornwall, England. It is situated on the Lizard peninsula approximately two miles (3 km) north of Lizard Point. The cove became popular in the early Victorian era, with many distinguished visitors including Queen Victoria and Prince Albert and the poet Alfred Tennyson. The BBC has described Kynance Cove as “one of the most beautiful stretches of coastline in the South West”. The South West Coast Path, which follows the coast of south west England from Somerset to Dorset passes by on the cliffs overlooking the cove.
Kynance Cove and the surrounding coast are owned and managed by the National Trust. It is part of the West Lizard Site of Special Scientific Interest and is in the Cornwall Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The Kynance Café, which opened for business in 1929, relied on spring water and on a generator for power. When the café became the property of the National Trust in 1999, the Trust renovated it and provided mains water and electricity. Access is via the South-west coastal footpath from the nearby National Trust car park