S.M.Y. Hohenzollern on Hardanger Fjord Norway by Thomas Hart FSA
Watercolour on Paper
Yacht of German Emperor Kaiser Wilhelm II who visited Odda every year from 1891 – 1914.
Frame Size 16.25 ins (412 mm) by 14.375 ins (366 mm)
Image Size 14.875 ins (377 mm) by 13 ins (330 mm)
Born 1830 Crowan Cornwall, Died 1916 The Lizard, Cornwall
Moved to Falmouth in the 1840’s
He was a prolific painter in watercolours and oil. including this watercolour Hohenzollern on Hardanger Fjord.. He lived up to 1862 in Falmouth, Cornwall, the home of several known artists.
Married Louisa Hallamore in 1862 in Falmouth, Cornwall. Initially they set up home in Plymouth
Thomas had one of the very first photographic studios at 10 Flora Place, Union Road, Plymouth.
Louisa traveled to Falmouth for the births of Herbert and Horace (artists)
1865 the family moved to the Lizard Point in Cornwall,
Painted a large volume of work including this watercolour S.M.Y. Hohenzollern on Hardanger Fjord Norway by Thomas Hart FSA
Exhibited at the Royal academy, Grosvenor Gallery and at numerous venues in the UK.
His work sold from the 1850’s. Thomas travelled widely in the UK and Europe gathering ideas and working “Plein Air”.
From 1880 to the early 1900’s Thomas spent 2 months in Odda Norway where he set up a studio.
They had 11 children, 6 of them became professional Painters. In the late 1800’s numerous Titled people in the UK and throughout Europe purchased his paintings.
Hohenzollern II’ launched on 27 June 1892, the build completed the same year by AG Vulcan Stettin. She was 120 metres (390 ft) long, had a beam of 14 metres (46 ft) and drew 5.6 metres (18 ft), with 9,588 indicated horsepower (7,150 kW).
She was used as the Imperial Yacht and aviso from 1893 to July 1914. From 1894 to 1914, with the exception of 1906, Emperor Wilhelm II used her on his annual prolonged Nordlandfahrt trips to Norway. In total he spent over four years on board.
At the end of July 1914 Hohenzollern II was put out of service in Kiel, the last captain being Kapitän zur See Johannes V. Karpf. The ship became property of the Weimar Republic in 1918. Struck on 27 February 1920, she was scrapped in 1923 in Wilhelmshaven