St Michael’s Mount From the Causeway By Thomas Hart FSA
Watercolour on Paper
Frame Size 20 ins (508 mm) by 16.25 ins (406 mm)
image Size 12.75 ins (324 mm) by 9.375 ins (238 mm)
Born 1830 Crowan Cornwall, Died 1916 The Lizard, Cornwall
Moved to Falmouth in the 1840’s
He was a prolific painter in watercolours and oil. He lived up to 1862 in Falmouth, Cornwall, the home of several known artists.
Married Louisa Hallamore in 1862 in Falmouth, Cornwall. Initially they set up home in Plymouth
Thomas had one of the very first photographic studios at 10 Flora Place, Union Road, Plymouth.
Louisa travelled to Falmouth for the births of Herbert and Horace (artists)
1865 the family moved to the Lizard Point in Cornwall,
Painted a large volume of work including this watercolour St Michael’s Mount From the Causeway By Thomas Hart FSA
Exhibited at the Royal academy, Grosvenor Gallery and at numerous venues in the UK.
His work sold from the 1850’s. Thomas travelled widely in the UK and Europe gathering ideas and working “Plein Air”.
From 1880 to the early 1900’s Thomas spent 2 months in Odda Norway where he set up a studio.
They had 11 children, 6 of them became professional Painters. In the late 1800’s numerous Titled people in the UK and throughout Europe purchased his paintings.
St Michael’s Mount (Cornish: Karrek Loos yn Koos, meaning “hoar rock in woodland”) is a small tidal island in Mount’s Bay, Cornwall, England.. The island is a civil parish and is linked to the town of Marazion by a man-made causeway of granite setts, passable between mid-tide and low water. It is managed by the National Trust, and the castle and chapel have been the home of the St Aubyn family since approximately 1650.
Historically, St Michael’s Mount is a Cornish counterpart of Mont Saint-Michel in Normandy, France (with which it shares the same tidal island characteristics and the same conical shape, in spite of being much smaller, at 57 acres, than Mont St Michel which covers 247 acres). Given to the Benedictine religious order of Mont Saint-Michel by Edward the Confessor in the 11th century.