UA-81275160-1 Towan Head from the Tea Caverns by Tracey Dyke Hart - Hart Paintings

Shop

Sheep on Grassy Knoll Unknown Artist
June 9, 2020
Lizard Point from Yellow Carn above Lion Rock by Claude Montague Hart
June 11, 2020

Towan Head from the Tea Caverns by Tracey Dyke Hart

£220.00

Towan Head from the Tea Caverns by Tracey Dyke Hart

Waterrcolour on Paper

New Frame and Mount

Ready to Hang

Overall Frame Size   504 mm by 346 mm

Image Size   352 mm by 368 mm

Tracey Douglas ( Dyke ) Hart

Born 1870 The Lizard, Cornwall. Died 1930   Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Tracey, the 5th Son of his Father Thomas Hart, the eminent Cornish Artist. Taught by his father and traveled with him to Exhibitions in England and Wales. Painted scenes in Odda Norway. Sold his work from an early age.

Lived for some time in the Hotel in Mullion, Cornwall, painting scenes from around The Lizard.including this watercolour Towan Head from the Tea Caverns by Tracey Dyke Hart

Moved to Newquay Cornwall and painted a large volume of work on the North coast of Cornwall.

In 1910 he Emigrated to Canada Via New York. He Died in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada in 1930

https://kerrier.org/artists/tracey-dyke-hart-works/

Newquay Medieval Period

By the 15th century, a village referred to as “Keye” existed around the present harbour, near “Tewynblustri” (the spelling changed as Cornish evolved and is now rendered as “Towan Blystra”). “Towan” (or Tewynn) means dune or sand hill in Cornish, but the meaning of “blustri” or “blystra” is unknown. Some sources have suggested in the past that it meant boats, but this claim is not supported by modern authorities and is dismissed by Padel in his dictionary of Cornish place names.[9]

The name Towan Blystra, although often quoted as the Cornish equivalent of Newquay, was actually the name of a separate settlement some 200m away from the harbour. There is no record of ‘Newquay’ as a name ever being rendered in Cornish.[10] The anchorage was exposed to winds from the north east and in 1439 the local burgesses applied to Edmund LaceyBishop of Exeter for leave and funds raised through the mechanism of an indulgence, to build a “New quay” from which the town derives its name. The new quay itself did not appear until the early 17th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newquay

Reviews

There are no reviews yet.

Be the first to review “Towan Head from the Tea Caverns by Tracey Dyke Hart”

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *